This slow cooker Tater Tot casserole is an incredibly cheesy dish that’s well worth trying out. This casserole has delicious ground beef, crispy bacon, bell peppers and a taco seasoning mix. It’s packed full of flavor, so it’s bound to be a hit with your friends, family or just yourself.
If you didn’t already know, Tater Tot is a potato dish made from grated potatoes and have a cylindrical shape. You can find these in the frozen aisle at your local supermarket. You may also find them under different names such as here in Australia we call them potato gems.
This cheesy casserole is the perfect dish for any time of the day. However, one downside to this dish is that the cooking time is not ideal for breakfast unless you only sleep for 4-6 hours.
Make sure you keep the leftovers as they will reheat the next day nicely. Just make sure you keep the leftovers covered in the fridge until you need them. Simply heat in either an oven or the microwave.
Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole
- 1kg (2 lb.) frozen tater tots
- 500g (1 lb.) ground beef
- 250g (9 oz.) bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 bell peppers (green & red), chopped
- 1 packet taco seasoning (30g/1 oz.)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite type)
- Firstly, in a pan over high heat, fry the bacon until it’s crispy. Once crispy, put to the side.
- In the same pan, fry the ground beef until browned, once browned, drain and put to the side.
- In the slow cooker, add all the ingredients and mix together.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You don’t have to use crispy bacon, but it certainly does help add to the texture and taste of the dish.
- If you love the taste of taco seasoning, then you can double the amount used in this recipe. It should still be fine and not too salty.
- You’re able to use a different type of cheese if you’re not a huge fan of cheddar.
- I highly recommend that you pre-cook the ground beef for this dish to help avoid it becoming too soupy. The bacon can be added uncooked but keep in mind it won’t crisp up in the slow cooker.
- If you can’t get your hands on some packet taco seasoning, then you can always make taco seasoning from scratch. All you need is a few key spices in your cupboard.
You may want to skip this part as potato, bacon, cheese, and ground beef is probably not going to be the best for you. Anyhow if you’re after the nutritional information for this slow cooker Tater Tot casserole, then you can find it below. This information is calculated using an online tool so it may not be 100% accurate.