- swallowing air while you eat or drink
- gum chewing
- smoking cigarettes
- eating certain foods
Make an appointment with your doctor if your gas symptoms:
- cause you distress
- change suddenly
- are accompanied with constipation, diarrhea, or weight loss
Your doctor can determine the underlying cause.
Eighteen ways to reduce bloating
Quick tips to get rid of bloating
Fennel essential oil may help to ease bloating.
Bloating usually happens when excess gas builds up in the stomach or intestines. When bloating occurs right after a meal, it usually resolves itself, but it is often possible to speed up this process.
The best way to tackle bloating is to determine its cause. Common triggers for bloating include:
- Digestive issues. Constipation, food allergies, and intolerances can lead to bloating. When stool becomes backed up in the large bowel, it can cause bloating and a feeling of discomfort. Excess gas may also build up behind the stool, making the bloating worse.
- Diet. Fizzy drinks, too much salt or sugar, and not enough fiber in the diet can all cause bloating.
- Hormonal changes. Many people experience bloating before and during their periods due to hormonal changes and water retention.
Many home remedies can help to manage the pain and discomfort of bloating. The following quick tips may help people to get rid of a bloated belly quickly:
1. Go for a walk
Physical activity can get the bowels moving more regularly, which can help to release excess gas and stool. Getting the bowels to move is especially important if a person is feeling constipated. A walk around the block can provide fast relief from gas pressure.